Since buying my Zenit’s last year I have been wanting to build on my Russian camera collection and I did by buying the Smena 8M.
For someone who has no idea about these cameras at first glance it looks just like a bog standard camera that has no special/different features.
It was not till I opened her up that I noticed that something was missing……
I had no idea that these little buggers don’t come with a built in take up spool, my first reaction was to check eBay to see how much they are and it would cost me more then the camera! I did a bit of digging online and saw that the spools inside film canisters work so I got hold of a exposed test film and opened it up with a bar blade.
I was surprised at just how easy it came open and that the spool inside was the perfect fit!
This has made me a happy snapper because not only has it saved me about £10 but it means I get to use this little beauty from Lomo.
The problem with film photography is the cost. I am on a rather tight budget and can only really use cheap films that are about £1 per roll and the cheapest place for me to get them developed is at my local boots and that costs £4.99 for 24exp and £5.99 for 36exp. I check eBay all the time to see if anyone is selling any film in bulk and I have come across some like 10 rolls of Tudor XLX 200 for £23 and 10 rolls of Solution VX 200 for £25. The problem with only buying the cheaper film is that it’s nearly always 200ISO or lower which is a bit crappy for the vast amount of grey days we have in the UK.
To go with the cheap films I use are the cheap cameras, most I have spent on one was £25 for a Lubitel with with a case, carry bag, light meter and some sort of weird side pistol grip that can hold a flash. Most of my cameras have been £15 and under nd I have found that the ones that give the best results have been under £5! My Konica Pop, Olympus SuperZoom and my BigView were all under £5 but the pictures that have come out have been stunning and that makes me wonder if I do actually need some of the more pricier 35mm cameras? Well I can can easily answer that and say no, I don’t need them but I wouldn’t say no if I had the chance to own one. I would love a LC-A, Diana F+and a Belair (all by Lomography) and I would love some nice old FED’s and a fisheye for my Zenits but these are all out of my price range for the time being so I will and do make do with what I have.
I will keep trudging along and enjoying what I use and chances are that when I do got something from my wishlist I will still enjoy using the cameras I started with.
So this week has been quite busy for our postman.
The girlfriend and I are fans of oil/tart burners and have a small collection of scents…….now, I have always loved incense sticks but the girlfriend has not really been much of a fan but we agreed to take the plunge and buy some.
As you can see we (when I say we I mean I) bought quite a few different scents. With the holder I bought Angels’s Touch which has quite a cool manly smell. We also found someone who had a buy 5 get 2 free offer so we thought ‘why not?’ and ordered Lime, Nag Champa, Orange & Cinnamon, Sandlewood, Coconut, Strawberry and Honeysuckle. Not had the chance to burn any of these as they has only just come this morning but I have opened them all to have a smell and they are beautiful!
Next up I saw what was advertised as a 110 Diana clone called a Snappy and it was going for £1 so I placed a bid and won it! It just come this morning and while unboxing it I thought it looked a bit big and it turns out its a 120 camera! Im not that fussed that it’s for a different film but I am glad I didnt order some 110 film to go with it.
Did a quick test and all the features are working but the only problem is that the lens comes off and exposes all the shutter mechanism but that can easily be sorted with a little bit of glue. Im thinking the girlfriend will be wanting to play with this one once we get some nice weather and days off together.
And last but no means least is my last purchase. I have been after a Holga for over a year now and had no idea which one to get. I was after a 135 just for the ease of processing but when I saw this on eBay I had to take a chance.
So I bought a Holga GCFN. As you can see it’s the camo model, im not a big fan of that but it’s easy enough to paint so that’s something I can think about doing in the near future. The Holga came boxed along with 5 rolls of Fujifilm Superia 400 which cost about £5 per roll which is great because the whole lot only cost £22!
I’ll be getting reviews of the cameras up when the weather picks up and when I find the best wayto get the 120 film developed.
Well I said I would look out for a tag and I have found one!
- Where were you 3 hours ago? Sat watching Rock And Chips.
- Who are you in love with? The girlfriend obviously.
- Have you ever eaten a crayon? No idea, I probably did.
- Is there anything pink within 10 feet of you? The girlfriends Disney princess stuff.
- When is the last time you went to the mall? Monday?
- Are you wearing socks right now? Hell yea, I hate having cold feet.
- Does your family have a car worth over $2,000? Ermmm yea I think so.
- When was the last time you drove out of town? I dont drive.
- Have you been to the movies in the last 5 days? Nah. 😦
- Are you hot? Well I was till I opened the window.
- What was the last thing you had to drink? Water, I drink loads of the stuff.
- What are you wearing right now? Black jogger shorts and a JD inspired Game Of Thrones tshirt.
- Do you wash your car or let the car wash do it? I don’t have a car.
- Last food that you ate? Blackcurrant jam on toast.
- Where were you last week at this time? Same bloody place I am now!
- Have you bought any clothing items in the last week? 2 pairs of trainers.
- When is the last time you ran? Me? Run? hahahaha!
- What’s the last sporting event you watched? Does Wrestlemania count?
- What is your favorite animal? Dogs/Cats, I cant help but fuss them.
- Your dream vacation? That would be me and the girlfriend driving across America coast to coast.
- Last person’s house you were in? The girlfriends mum’s.
- Worst injury you’ve ever had? I was climbing in my tow cupboard when I fell on a toy that went into my back just missing the spine.
- Have you been in love? Well duh!
- Do you miss anyone right now? My Dad, really do need to pay him a visit.
- Last play you saw? Circus Of Horrors! It’s bloody amazing.
- What is your secret weapon to lure in the opposite sex? Well that would have to be my amazing charm 😉 HAHAHA!
- What are your plans for tonight? Chill then pizza with the girlfriend before heading off out.
- Who is the last person you sent a MySpace message or comment? How the hell am I supposed to remember that?!
- Next trip you are going to take? We want to take a city break and Manchester is easy to get to.
- Ever go to camp? Nah, we don’t have them in the UK.
- Were you an honor roll student in school? Nope, yet again we don’t have that in the UK
- What do you want to know about the future? I prefer the idea of not know what the future has to hold.
- Are you wearing any perfume or cologne? Not right now but when I do it’s a BodyShop one.
- Are you due sometime this year for a doctor’s visit? I guess so? I’ll need to get some new inhalers.
- Where is your best friend? She is in the pub with her friend.
- How is your best friend? She’s ok I guess 😉
- Do you have a tan? I have a great truckers tan!
- What are you listening to right now? I have Red Dawn on in the background.
- Do you collect anything? Analogue cameras, books and zombie stuff.
- Who is the biggest gossiper you know? No surprise here but it’s a woman and no it’s not the girlfriend!
- Last time you got stopped by a cop or pulled over? I never have been.
- Have you ever drank your soda from a straw? I thought everyone has?
- What does your last text message say? ‘Thats True’
- Do you like hot sauce? Do I ever!
- Last time you took a shower? This afternoon.
- Do you need to do laundry? Well I think it would be a good idea.
- What is your heritage?English! (Yorkshire)
- Are you someone’s best friend? Well I would like to think I am.
- Are you rich? Money rich? Not at all but I like to think im rich with family and friends.
- What were you doing at 12AM last night? I was sat in the boxoffice!
Well I have been writing on here for the past month or so and recently found myself struggling for ideas of what to write about, yea I can continue reviewing my small camera collection but I don’t want to just be stuck doing that so I have been thinking about throwing in some film or even book reviews and a few rants that I have (guess it saves the girlfriend from having to hear about them all the time).
I guess I could look into a few of these ‘tags’ that the girlfriend does about favorite books/films, things you enjoyed as a child and other gubbins like that. Iv also toyed with the idea of doing video reviews to go along side of the ones I write up but I keep getting all silly and nervous every time I try and do one! Really should keep trying.
Right, I best get looking up some of these ‘tags’ and see what takes my fancy.
So I was just sat here listening to all the ‘alt’ music from the late 90’s early 00’s that I used to listen to and just randomly though about what relaxes me. I do the usual and enjoy nice relaxing baths and chilling with music on but what I find that works best with me is being out and about with a camera.
When I am out walking I just pop in my headphones and disconnect myself from the outside world while wondering through areas that I wouldn’t normally go to. I enjoy looking at things differently, looking at things from angles you normally wouldn’t use and getting really up close.
It sounds a bit ’emo’ and ‘hippy’ in the fact that I jot down random thoughts and ideas in a notebook I have (mainly because I tend to forget them) and just enjoy being outside. I find myself lucky because I live very close to the coast and can get there quite quickly (30mins walk or a 2mins train ride) but I don’t go as much as I should do, really do need to make a point in going there more often.
Now last but in no means least every Tuesday me and the girlfriend like to sit back and do our own things while listening/watching the new RAWtalk podcast on you. Now I am into photography where as the girlfriend is not so into it but she looks forward to Tuesdays and the latest episode, yea we can listen to it the day before by downloading the podcast but we find it easier and funnier when we can see Jared and the 2 Stephens.
Time to relax, have a nice long soak a big brew and cake while watching Rawtalk. Good times!
So this weeks sale is to celebrate 75 years of Batman
And we also have the Spring Sale!
I got these links from over on Major Nelsons website.
Please note: prices and availability are subject to change and may vary by region. Xbox 360 Deals with Gold are valid for Xbox Live Gold subscribers